A refreshing cross between a salsa and a true cooked relish
Prep Time: prep 15 mins, plus standing
Cooking Time: cook 10 mins, plus chilling
Serves: makes 4 servings
- olive or canola oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 8oz ( 225g) cherry tomatoes
- 1 small fresh hot red chile, seeded and minced
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 1 / 4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 cups cooked fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- chopped cilantro, for serving
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes, until beginning to soften.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, chile, brown sugar, and cayenne and stir well to mix. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook 5 minutes, until the tomatoes soften.
- Transfer to a bowl and cool. Stir in the corn, ketchup, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Just before serving, stir in the cilantro. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- prep 15 mins, plus standing; cook 10 mins, plus chilling
Warm Egyptian Corn Relish: Substitute 2 tsp ras-al-hanout (North African spice mixture) for the chile and cayenne. Serve warm.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!