A mild-tasting but very enjoyable fruit relish that is particularly good with cold meats and cheeses
Prep Time: prep 15 mins
Cooking Time: cook 1 hr 15 mins
Serves: makes 5 × 1qt (1 liter) jars
- 3lb ( 1.35kg) plums, pitted and cut into quarters
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ground allspice
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 3 / 4 cups plus 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 3 / 4 cups packed light brown sugar
- Combine all of the ingredients into a large non-aluminum pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring almost constantly to dissolve the sugar.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring often, or until the chutney is soft and thickened. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- While the chutney is simmering, wash the jars well and sterilize them in a hot water bath for 10 minutes or in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 20 minutes.
- Using tongs or oven mitts, transfer the jars to a baking sheet. Carefully fill the hot jars with the hot chutney.
- Cover with the lids and screw on the rings. Let stand to cool completely.
- Wipe the jars clean. Label, date, and store in a cool dark place, ideally for a few weeks, before opening.
- prep 15 mins; cook 1 hr 15 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!