Almost Alfredo Sauce
This sauce is healthier than the traditional Alfredo Sauce, and every bit as good.
Serves: 6 1/2 cup servings
- 3/4 cup grated nonfat Parmesan cheese, or 1/2 cup regular Parmesan cheese mixed with 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups skim or low-fat milk
- Place the Parmesan cheese, evaporated milk, pepper, and nutmeg in a small bowl, and stir to mix well. Set aside.
- Place the milk in a 1 1/2-quart pot, and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add the evaporated milk mixture to the pot, and cook, still stirring, for about 2 minutes, or until the mixture is thickened and bubbly. Add a little more milk if the sauce seems too thick. Serve hot over pasta or vegetables, or use in casseroles as you would condensed cream soups.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.