Chunky Garden Marinara Sauce
This marinara sauce gets its chunky texture from large pieces of mushrooms, tomatoes, and bell pepper.
Serves: 7 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- 2 teaspoons crushed fresh garlic
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons instant vegetable or beef bouillon granules
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray or with the olive oil, and preheat over medium heat. Add the garlic, mushrooms, bell pepper, and onion. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables start to soften and release their juices.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the skillet, and stir to mix. Increase the heat to medium-high, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, or until the sauce is thick and the flavors are well blended. Serve hot over your choice of pasta.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.