Roasted Tomato Sauce
Roasting the tomatoes before putting them in the sauce makes them sweeter.
Serves: 4 3/4 cup servings
- 1 3/4 pounds fresh plum tomatoes (about 8 medium-large), quartered lengthwise
- 1 medium-large yellow onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- Nonstick olive oil cooking spray
- Place the vegetables and garlic cloves in a large bowl, and toss to mix well. Add the vinegar, oregano, salt, pepper, and, if desired, the olive oil, and stir to mix well. Coat a 9-x-13-inch nonstick pan with nonstick olive oil cooking spray, and spread the vegetables in a single layer in the pan. If you did not use the olive oil, spray the tops of the vegetables with the cooking spray. Cover the pan with aluminum foil, and bake at 450°F for 20 minutes. Remove the foil, and bake for 30 additional minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and nicely browned. Serve hot over your choice of pasta.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.