Savory Meat Sauce
Lean ground beef, a bit of sugar, and green bell pepper make this meat sauce memorable.
Serves: 8 servings
- 12 ounces 95% lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery (include the leaves)
- 2 teaspoons crushed fresh garlic
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium heat. Add the ground beef, and cook, stirring to crumble, until the meat is no longer pink. Drain off and discard any excess fat.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients except for the tomatoes to the skillet, and stir to mix. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables start to soften and release their juices.
- Add the tomatoes to the skillet, and stir to mix. Increase the heat to medium-high, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the sauce is thick and the flavors are well blended. Serve hot over your choice of pasta.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.