Espresso Crï¿½me Brï¿½lï¿½e
Indulge your sweet tooth this this amazing espresso crï¿½me brulee.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 1H
Serves: Serves 6
- 5 large egg yolks
- 9 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 tbsp brewed espresso or strong coffee
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped out, or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Put the egg yolks in a bowl with 3 tbsp of the sugar and beat with an electric mixer until light. Combine the cream, milk, espresso, and the vanilla bean pod and seeds in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat just until bubbles appear around the edges; do not boil. Gradually whisk the hot cream mixture into the egg yolk mixture in a steady stream. Strain through a fine sieve, and divide among six 6oz (175ml) ramekins.
- Place them in a pan and add hot water to come halfway up their sides. Cover loosely with parchment paper and aluminum foil. Bake for 50 minutes-1 hour, until just set. Remove from the water bath, cool, then cover and refrigerate overnight. A few hours before serving, pat the top of each custard with a paper towel to absorb moisture. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of the sugar over each custard, then place under the broiler, or use a cook's blowtorch until the sugar caramelizes and turns golden. Let stand until the sugar is hardened, 3-5 minutes. Serve at once.
- For a more traditional flavor, omit the espresso and use 2 vanilla beans.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!