Crepes with Caramelized Apples and Chocolate
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
Caramelized apples and chocolate stuffed into a crepe make for a scrumptious dessert everyone will love.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 20M
Serves: Serves 4-6
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2-3 tbsp granulated sugar, depending on the sweetness of the apples
- 4 Pink Lady or other pink-skinned eating apples, sliced
- vegetable oil
- 41/2oz (125g) semisweet chocolate, grated or shaved
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl with a pinch of salt and make a well in the center. Put the egg and a little of the milk in the well. Using a wooden spoon, gradually stir the egg mixture, letting a little of the flour fall in as you go and adding the rest of the milk a little a time. When it's all incorporated, beat the mixture with an electric mixer to remove any lumps. Transfer to the refrigerator to rest for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the cream in a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until lightly whipped, then aside. Put the butter and sugar in a pan over low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Add the apple slices and toss well to coat. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until the apples are caramelized, then set aside and keep warm.
- Heat a crepe pan or small frying pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add a tiny amount of vegetable oil, then swirl it around the pan and pour the excess into a heatproof liquid-measure cup. Add 2 tbsp of batter to the pan and swirl it around so it covers the bottom. Loosen the edges of the crepe with a spatula and cook for 1 minute or until golden. Flip the crepe and cook the other side for 30 seconds, or until set. Slide the crepe onto a plate and repeat until all the batter has been used.
- To serve, pile some of the apple mixture onto each crepe and top with a dollop of cream; then fold to enclose the filling, and sprinkle with chocolate.
- Use sliced bananas instead of the apples. If you're feeling particularly indulgent, serve ice cream on the side, as well!
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!