Allergy-Free Raspberry Marshmallow Crispies
Simple and inexpensive to make, these sticky cereal squares are a children's party treat -- so they are just the thing whenever your young guests have allergies or not.
Prep Time: 10M, plus chilling time
Serves: makes 24
Gluten, egg, & nut free
- a little nut-free vegetable oil, for the baking pan
- 4 oz marshmallows (preferably pink and white)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 tbsp raspberry jam
- 21/2 cups puffed rice cereal
- Oil a 7 ื 11 inch shallow baking pan.
- Put the marshmallows in a large saucepan with the butter and the jam. Heat gently, stirring all the time, until everything has melted. Then boil for 1 minute, stirring throughout.
- Stir in the cereal fairly rapidly until thoroughly coated in the sticky mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan; spread out right to the corners; then press down firmly using a wet butter knife or the back of a spoon. Use a knife to mark out into 24 squares. Leave until cold then chill overnight to firm.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Watch out for marshmallows that have been sweetened with maltodextrin or other sugars derived from barley, if you can't eat gluten. Some brands of marshmallow may contain egg. Check the puffed rice cereal label for ingredients containing dairy or gluten, if need be.
Dairy free also gluten, egg & nut free: Follow the recipe for Dairy free, but substitute dairy-free spread for the butter.
Excerpted from Allergy-Free Cookbook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!