Almond and Orange Cake
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
This cake does not need flour or butter, so it's great for people on restricted diets
Prep Time: prep 10 mins, plus cooling
Cooking Time: cook 1 hr
Serves: makes 8 servings
- 7oz ( 200g) carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh orange juice, or orange- or almond-flavored liqueur
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 / 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- grated zest of 1 orange
- 3 / 4 cup sugar
- 1 1 / 4 cup almond flour (almond meal)
- confectioner's sugar, for sifting (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325癋 (160癈). Butter an 8in (20cm) round cake pan and line the bottom with a round of parchment paper.
- Cook the carrots in a little water about 15 minutes, or until very tender. Drain and pur閑 with the orange juice; you should have 1/2 cup of pur閑.
- Beat the egg yolks, vanilla, and orange zest in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed. Gradually add the sugar, mixing until it becomes very thick. Stir in the carrot pur閑 and almond flour.
- In a clean, dry bowl, with clean beaters, beat the egg whites until stiff, then fold into the batter. Spread in the pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes. Invert onto the rack, peel off the paper, and cool completely. Sift confectioner's sugar over the top before serving, if desired.
- prep 10 mins, plus cooling; cook 1 hr
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!