Angel Food Cake
Serve this light-as-air cake with your favorite summer berries
Prep Time: 30M
Cooking Time: 35M-45M, plus cooling
Serves: makes 8-12 servings
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 12 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 1tsp pure vanilla or almond extract
For the topping
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp confectioner's sugar
- blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Sift the flour and confectioner's sugar together.
- Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. One tablespoon at a time, beat in the superfine sugar until shiny, stiff peaks form. In three additions, sift in the flour mixture, gently folding in each addition with a large rubber spatula. Fold in the vanilla. Spoon into a 10in (25cm) tube cake pan with a removable bottom and gently smooth the top.
- Bake about 40 minutes, until the top is golden brown and springs back when pressed.
- Invert the cake pan on a work surface. (The cake should clear the work surface-if not, perch the cake pan on custard cups.) Cool completely. Run a long, dull knife around the inside of the pan. Remove the sides of the pan. Pull the bottom of the cake away from tube section and transfer, upside down, to a serving platter.
- To make the topping, whip the cream and confectioner's sugar until soft peaks form. Spoon over the cake. Cut into slices and serve with the berries. The cake is best served the day it is baked, and is good with any combination of fresh fruit.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!