Apples are always the beginning of a good tart
Prep Time: 20M, plus chilling
Cooking Time: 1H
Serves: makes 6-8 servings
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp cold butter, diced
- 1 large egg
For the filling
- 4 Golden Delicious apples or Bosc pears
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup blackberries, raspberries, or blueberries
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- To make the pastry, pulse the flour, butter, and sugar in a food processor until it resembles coarse bread crumbs. Add the egg and pulse until the dough comes together, adding more water if needed. Gather into a thick disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into a round about 1/8in (3mm) thick. Line the tart pan with the dough. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line the dough with wax paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and bake for 10 minutes, until golden. Remove from the oven. Reduce the temperature to 375°F (190°C).
- Meanwhile, peel, core, and thinly slice the apples. Whisk together the cream, brown sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla. Arrange the apples and berries in the pastry shell. Pour in the cream mixture. Sprinkle with granulated sugar and cinnamon. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until set. Serve warm or cold.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!