Apple Brown Betty
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
This fruit dessert with a crumb topping dates back to Colonial times
Prep Time: prep 30 mins
Cooking Time: cook 35-45 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 6 tbsp butter
- 3 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 2lb ( 900g) cooking apples, such as Granny Smith or Golden Delicious
- 1 / 2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 / 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1 / 4 cups heavy cream
- 1 tbsp confectioner's sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Melt the butter in a frying pan. Add the bread crumbs and mix well.
- Peel, quarter, and core the apples. Slice them and put in a bowl. Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, lemon zest and juice, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Spread half of the apples in a 9in (23cm) square baking dish. Cover with half of the bread crumbs. Repeat with the remaining apples and bread crumbs.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, until the topping is golden brown and the apples are tender. If the topping is browning too quickly, reduce the heat to 325°F (170°C), and tent with foil. Whip the cream with the confectioner's sugar. Serve the betty warm, with the cream.
- prep 30 mins; cook 35-45 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!