Apple Brown Betty
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
This fruit dessert with a crumb topping dates back to Colonial times
Prep Time: prep 30 mins
Cooking Time: cook 35-45 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 6 tbsp butter
- 3 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 2lb ( 900g) cooking apples, such as Granny Smith or Golden Delicious
- 1 / 2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 / 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1 / 4 cups heavy cream
- 1 tbsp confectioner's sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350癋 (180癈). Melt the butter in a frying pan. Add the bread crumbs and mix well.
- Peel, quarter, and core the apples. Slice them and put in a bowl. Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, lemon zest and juice, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Spread half of the apples in a 9in (23cm) square baking dish. Cover with half of the bread crumbs. Repeat with the remaining apples and bread crumbs.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, until the topping is golden brown and the apples are tender. If the topping is browning too quickly, reduce the heat to 325癋 (170癈), and tent with foil. Whip the cream with the confectioner's sugar. Serve the betty warm, with the cream.
- prep 30 mins; cook 35-45 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!