Few desserts say "autumn baking"
Prep Time: 20M
Cooking Time: 45M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 1lb 2oz ( 500g) Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
for the topping
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled (old-fashioned) oats
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Combine the apples, ginger, and lemon juice in a 6 cup square baking dish and toss.
- To make the topping, combine the flour and butter in a large mixing bowl and rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture is combined. Work in the sugar and oats. The mixture should remain lumpy.
- Crumble the topping over the apples. Press the topping down gently to level it. Bake for 45 minutes, until golden and crisp. Serve hot, warm, or cold.
- Good with crème anglaise or ice cream.
Apple and Blackberry Crumble: Replace 1 of the apples with 7oz (200g) blackberries.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!