Apple-Nut Zucchini Bread
As a dessert or a breakfast food, nothing tastes better than zucchini bread infused with walnuts, nutmeg, and apples. Who would have thought bread made with zucchini could be so good?
Serves: Makes: 24 slices
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 2 large egg whites
- 14-ounce can of crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup shredded apple
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray 3 (8 X 4-inch) loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Combine flours, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg in large bowl; mix well.
- Combine egg substitute and egg whites in medium bowl; beat with electric mixer until frothy.
- Pour egg mixture into flour mixture.
- Add pineapple, sugars and vanilla; mix well.
- Fold in zucchini, apple and walnuts.
- Divide batter among loaf pans. Bake 45 to 55 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove bread from loaf pans and cool completely before slicing. Bread can be frozen whole or sliced; thaw at room temperature or microwave individual pieces 10 to 15 seconds each.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.