Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
When you are short on time, use pre-made pie crusts. Including some Granny Smith apples will make a tangier pie
Prep Time: 25M, plus chilling
Cooking Time: 50M
Serves: makes 8-10 servings
- one 15oz ( 420g) package refrigerated pie crusts
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 6 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp pumpkin-pie spice
- 2 tbsp milk, to glaze the dough
- Place a baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 400°F (200°C). Mix the lemon zest and juice in a large bowl. Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples, and toss them with the lemon mixture as they are sliced. Add the sugar, flour, and pumpkin pie spice and mix well.
- Line a 9in (23cm) pie pan with a pie crust and brush the edge with water. Spread the apple filling in the pan. Center the second pie crust over the filling. Press the edges of the crusts together to seal them, then flute them. Brush the top of the pie crust with milk and cut a few slits in the crust.
- Place the pie on the hot baking sheet. Immediately reduce the oven temperature to 375°F (190°C). Bake the pie for 50-55 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Transfer the pie to a wire cake rack and cool for at least 1 hour. Cut into wedges and serve warm, or cool completely and serve at room temperature.
- Good with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or crème anglaise.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!