Apple Yogurt Compote
Served hot, warm, or cold, this is the simplest of desserts
Prep Time: prep 15 mins
Cooking Time: cook 35-40 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 2 1 / 2 lb ( 1.2kg) Cortland or Jonathan apples
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 / 3 cup apple juice
- 1 / 3 cup sugar
- 1 / 3 cup heavy cream
- Reserve half an apple for garnish. Peel, core, and thinly slice the remaining apples. Place the slices in a saucepan and sprinkle with the lemon juice as they are cut.
- Add the apple juice and sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring until the liquid comes to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, about 35 minutes, or until the apples are reduced to a sauce.
- Let cool slightly. Rub through a sieve to make a smooth purée.
- Divide the purée among four glasses. Top with the cream. Thinly slice the remaining apple and garnish the compotes with the apple slices. Serve warm or chilled.
- prep 15 mins; cook 35-40 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!