Be sure to use unsweetened applesauce in this gingerbread, which gets its sweetness from molasses, allspice, and cinnamon.
Serves: 18 servings
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- Place the flours, sugar, baking soda, spices, and salt in a large bowl, and stir to mix well. Add all of the remaining ingredients, and stir with a wire whisk to mix well. Set the batter aside for 10 minutes.
- Coat a 9-x-13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray. Whisk the batter for 15 seconds, and spread it evenly in the pan. Bake at 325°F for about 40 minutes, or just until the top springs back when lightly touched and a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for at least 30 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm or at room temperature with a light whipped topping, if desired.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.