Apples baked with butter, nuts, and spices are a fall dessert staple, easy to make after apple picking with the kids.
Serves: serves 4
- 4 large cooking apples
- 1 tbsp butter, plus extra for greasing dish
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- 1 tbsp raisins, washed
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 8 cloves
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Wash and core the apples.
- Butter a baking dish and stand the apples in it; you may have to slice off their bottoms to keep them upright.
- Stuff the almonds and raisins into the cavities, moisten with orange juice, and stick a few cloves in each apple.
- Smear a little butter around the top of each apple and sprinkle with sugar.
- Grind fresh nutmeg over the tops and bake for 40-60 minutes or until the skins are shiny and just ready to burst.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!