Baked Stem Ginger Cheesecake
Ginger adds a lot of flavor to this cheesecake recipe.
Prep Time: 30M
Cooking Time: 50M
Serves: Serves 8
- 1 ื 7oz (200g) package British digestive biscuits or plain cookies, such as gingersnaps, vanilla wafers, or graham crackers
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 51/2oz (150g) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 9oz (250g) mascarpone cheese
- 2 tbsp syrup from a jar of stem ginger
- 4-5 pieces stem ginger, thinly sliced and cut into thin strips
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and line the bottom of an 8in (20cm) springform pan with parchment paper. Put the cookies in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the crumbs, and stir until evenly moistened. Spoon into the pan and press into the bottom to form a crust.
- Put the egg yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until thick and creamy. Stir in the cheeses, beat with a wooden spoon until smooth, and stir in the ginger syrup and sliced ginger. Sift in the flour and fold until no longer visible.
- Put the egg whites in a bowl and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold into the yolk mixture, and spoon over the crust. Bake for 50 minutes, until golden and almost set. Turn off the oven and leave the cake inside to cool for 1 hour. Loosen the edges with a blunt knife and release the springform. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
- Bring the eggs and cream cheese to room temperature before starting. Eggs take longer to whisk when they are cold.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!