Berries with Citrus Syrup
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
Juicy seasonal berries are made even more luscious with a sweet lemon-orange syrup
Prep Time: 5M, plus macerating
Cooking Time: 10M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 1lb ( 450g) mixed red berries, such as raspberries, strawberries, and red currants
- 2/3 cup sugar
- zest of 1 lemon, cut into thin strips
- 1 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 4 sprigs mint, leaves only
- Place the mixed berries in a serving dish.
- Bring the sugar and 1/2 cup water to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat to high and boil for 5 minutes, until slightly reduced. Let cool. Stir in the lemon zest and orange juice.
- Pour the syrup over the berries, and sprinkle with the mint leaves. Let stand for at least 10 minutes. Transfer to dessert glasses and serve.
- Prepare ahead: The berries can be macerated for up to 1 hour.
- Good with whipped cream or ice cream.
- Leftovers can be blended with yogurt, apple juice, or ice to make a delicious fruit smoothie.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!