Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
Your favorite fresh berries in a light lemon syrup makes a refreshing summer dessert
Prep Time: 15M, plus cooling
Cooking Time: 2M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 1/2 cup sugar
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 3/4 lb ( 800g) fresh strawberries, raspberries, and/or blueberries
- Bring 13/4 cups water and the sugar to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Stop stirring, increase the heat to high, and boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the lemon zest and juice and let cool completely.
- Hull the strawberries and cut large ones in half. Combine the berries in a bowl and add the syrup. Stir gently to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Spoon into bowls and serve.
- Prepare ahead: Chill the fruit and syrup for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Good with a large dollop of whipped cream.
Winter Salad: Use sliced apples and segmented oranges, instead of berries. For an exotic version, try papaya and mango, and use lime in the syrup.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!