Blueberry Corn Bread
Blueberries make corn bread extra special.
Serves: Serves: 8
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray 8-or 9-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine egg substitute, egg whites, sugar, applesauce, yogurt and orange juice in medium bowl; mix until blended smooth.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and baking soda in plastic bag; shake until ingredients are mixed.
- Gradually add flour mixture to egg mixture; mix until blended. Fold in blueberries.
- Spoon batter into prepared baking dish and bake 23 to 25 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool to room temperature.
- Cut corn bread into squares; wrap in freezer wrap and store in freezer bag. To serve, remove as many squares as needed. Microwave 30 to 45 seconds per square on Low and serve with honey or preserves if desired.
- Blueberries contain high levels of anthocyanin, an antioxidant that prevents cell damage in the body.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.