Whip up a batch of these muffins for a special treat.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 20M
Serves: Makes 12
- 31/2 tbsp butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 21/4 cups self-rising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp granulated sugar
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon (optional)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 11/2 cups blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, then mix in the sugar, lemon zest, and a pinch of salt. Make a well in the center.
- Mix the yogurt, eggs, and butter in a bowl, then pour into the dry ingredients, along with the blueberries. Fold together lightly, just until combined; don't overmix or the muffins will be heavy. Don't worry if a few lumps remain in the batter.
- Spoon evenly into the muffin cups and bake for 20 minutes or until risen and golden. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then serve warm or let cool to room temperature.
- Use raspberries instead of blueberries, or orange zest instead of lemon.
- These muffins are best eaten the same day they're made, preferably when still warm from the oven.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!