Boston Cream Pie
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
Boston cream pie isn't really a pie -- it's more like a custard-filled cake that's served in pie-shaped wedges. This cake is light and delicious.
Serves: Serves: 8
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup pourable Sugar Twin or Sprinkle Sweet
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup Dannon plain fat-free yogurt
- 1/4 cup Kraft fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (4-serving) package JELL-O sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 1/3 cups Carnation Nonfat Dry Milk Powder
- 1/3 cup Cool Whip Free
- 1 (4-serving) package JELL-O sugar-free chocolate cook-and-serve pudding mix
- 1/2 cup (1 ounce) miniature marshmallows
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon reduced-calorie margarine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 9-inch round cake pans with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, Sugar Twin, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, 3/4 cup water, and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract. Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture. Mix gently just to combine. Evenly spread batter into prepared cake pans. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Place cake pans on wire racks and let cool for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and allow to cool completely on wire racks. Place one layer, bottom side up, on a serving plate.
- In a medium bowl, combine dry instant pudding mix, 2/3 cup dry milk powder, and 1 cup water. Mix well using a wire whisk. Blend in Cool Whip Free.
- Spread mixture evenly over cake to within 1/2 inch from edge. Top with second cake layer, top side up.
- In a medium saucepan, combine dry cook-and-serve pudding mix, remaining 1 cup dry milk powder, and remaining 1 cup water. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and starts to boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, marshmallows, and margarine.
- Place saucepan on a wire rack and let set for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drizzle partially cooled mixture evenly over top of cake layer. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.