Buttermilk Banana Muffins
Here's a good way to add some fruit to your morning diet -- put applesauce and mashed bananas into buttermilk muffins!
Serves: Serves: 12
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 3/4 cup cinnamon-flavored applesauce
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons nonfat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon-sugar mixture
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Lightly spray 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Combine bananas, sugars, egg substitute and applesauce in large mixing bowl; blend until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add flour, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder; mix just until blended.
- Add buttermilk and vanilla extract and blend well.
- Fill muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven; cool 10 to 15 minutes; sprinkle tops with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Cool to room temperature before refrigerating or freezing. Muffins can be thawed and microwaved 15 to 20 seconds.
- Bananas are a great source of fiber, which may lower LDL (bad) cholesterol by one-third and raise HDL (good) cholesterol levels by 30 percent.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.