This sweet caramel sauce is a perfect match for the sliced fruit
Prep Time: prep 10 mins, plus standing
Cooking Time: cook 15 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 4 oranges
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- crème fraîche, to serve
- Remove the zest from 1 of the oranges using a vegetable peeler. Cut the zest into very thin slivers and set aside.
- With a sharp knife, cut the zest and pith away from all of the oranges. Slice each orange into rounds, then stack the rounds back into their original shapes. Place the sliced oranges in a bowl.
- Bring the sugar and 1/3 cup water to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat to high and boil, brushing down the crystals that appear on the side of the pan with a wet pastry brush, without stirring, until it forms a dark amber caramel. Carefully add 1/3 cup hot water (the caramel will sputter), and stir until the caramel dissolves. Add the orange zest and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Pour the caramel sauce over the oranges. Cool, cover, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- On each plate, fan out the orange slices and drizzle with the caramel. Top with a dollop of crème fraîche and serve chilled.
- prep 10 mins, plus standing; cook 15 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!