Caramelized Autumn Fruits
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
This is a great way to turn autumn fruits into a delicious dessert
Prep Time: prep 10 mins
Cooking Time: cook 20 mins
Serves: makes 6 servings
- 3 Granny Smith apples
- 3 firm ripe Bosc pears
- 4 firm ripe red plums
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 / 3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp orange juice or water
- Peel and core the apples and pears and cut into quarters. Keep separate. Halve the plums and remove the pits.
- Melt the butter in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add the sugar and the orange juice and stir until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and boil until the mixture starts to turn golden brown.
- Add the apples, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes, until they start to soften. Add the pears and cook 2 minutes more.
- Next, add the plums and cook, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes, until all the fruit is just tender but not falling apart. Serve warm.
- prep 10 mins; cook 20 mins
Caramelized Summer Fruits: Substitute apricots, peaches, and blackberries for the autumn fruits, cooking the apricots and peaches first, then adding the blackberries at the end.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!