This version of the Sicilian frozen dessert is loaded with fruit and utterly irresistible
Prep Time: prep 25 mins, plus freezing time
Cooking Time: cook 10 mins
Serves: makes 6-8 servings
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1 / 4 cups heavy cream, lightly whipped
- 1 / 4 cup glacé cherries
- 1 / 4 cup dried apricots
- 1 / 4 cup dried pineapple
- 1 / 4 cup chopped pistachios
- 6oz ( 168g) fresh raspberries
- additional dried fruits and pistachio nuts, for garnish (optional)
- Bring the sugar and 1/4 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Boil for 5 minutes, until thick and syrupy.
- Beat the egg yolks with a hand-held electric mixer, slowly adding the hot syrup, until the mixture is cooled, thick, and pale. Fold in the whipped cream and vanilla. Transfer one third of the mixture to another bowl and stir in the cherries, apricots, pineapple, and pistachios. Cover and refrigerate.
- Purée the raspberries in a blender. Rub through a fine sieve to remove the seeds and stir into the plain cream mixture. Pour into shallow metal baking dish and freeze, stirring occasionally, with a large metal spoon, about 4 hours, until partially set. Freeze a metal bowl with about 31/2 cups capacity until very cold. Spread the raspberry cream in the bottom and up the sides of the bowl, leaving a cavity in the center. Fill with the chilled fruit mixture. Cover and freeze at least 8 hours, until firm.
- Dip the bowl into warm water for a few seconds and then invert onto a serving plate and remove the bowl. Decorate with dried fruits and pistachio nuts, if desired. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.
- prep 25 mins, plus freezing time; cook 10 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!