This recipe will give you the authentic, wonderful Challah texture and golden crust.
Serves: Serves: 8
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon pourable Sugar Twin or Sprinkle Sweet
- 1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2 eggs or equivalent in egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon reduced-calorie margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 teaspoons Sesame seeds (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine warm water, Sugar Twin, and dry yeast. Stir just to dissolve yeast. Let set for about 5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Add 1 egg, margarine, and salt. Mix well using a wire whisk. Whisk in 1 cup flour. Gradually add 1 3/4 cups flour. Mix well until a soft dough forms.
- Evenly sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup flour on a large piece of aluminum foil.
- Place dough on floured surface. Knead for 5 to 6 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in a large bowl sprayed with butter-flavored cooking spray. Lightly spray surface of dough. Cover and put in a warm place to rise until dough is doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and divide into 3 large pieces. Roll each piece into a 24-inch-long rope.
- Loosely braid ropes together, tuck ends under, and pinch to seal. Place on a baking sheet sprayed with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- Lightly spray top of loaf with butter-flavored cooking spray. Cover and let rise for 40 minutes or until almost doubled.
- Discard white of remaining egg. In a small bowl, combine egg yolk and water. Brush on top and sides of loaf. Sprinkle sesame seeds over top.
- Bake in a preheated 375-degree oven for 22 to 26 minutes or until top is lightly browned and bottom sounds hollow when tapped. Remove loaf from baking sheet and cool on a wire rack. Cut into 8 pieces.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.