This cherry-almond-cheese tart tastes like it must have oodles of fat, but it doesn't.
Serves: Serves: 8
- 8-ounce package nonfat cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 8-ounce container nonfat Cool Whip, thawed
- 9-inch low-fat graham cracker pie crust
- 1 cup light cherry pie filling
- Combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and almond extract in medium bowl; beat with electric mixer until creamy and smooth.
- Fold in whipped topping and mix lightly.
- Spoon mixture into prepared crust; cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Top with cherry pie filling; pie can be refrigerated overnight or served immediately.
- In the 1820s, the average American consumed about 10 pounds of sugar a year. Today, we eat about 420 pounds annually, the equivalent of eating 6 candy bars a day.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.