This French favorite can be enjoyed warm or at room temperature
Prep Time: prep 12 mins, plus 30 mins standing
Cooking Time: cook 35-45 mins
Serves: makes 6 servings
- 1lb 10oz ( 750g) cherries, pitted
- 3 tbsp kirsch
- 6 tbsp sugar
- unsalted butter, for the dish
- 4 large eggs
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 2 / 3 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 1 / 4 cups milk
- pinch of salt
- Toss the cherries with the kirsch and 2 tbsp of the sugar in a bowl and let stand for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400Â°F (200Â°C) and butter a ceramic or glass 10in (25cm) one-piece quiche or flan dish and set aside.
- Strain the liquid from the cherries. Whisk the eggs, drained cherry liquid, seeds from the vanilla bean, and the remaining 4 tbsp sugar in a bowl until combined. Gradually whisk in the flour, then add the milk and salt, and whisk until smooth.
- Spread the cherries in the dish, then pour in the batter.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, until the top is browned and the center is firm to the touch. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- prep 12 mins, plus 30 mins standing; cook 35-45 mins
Plum Clafoutis: Substitute small pitted plums for the cherries and add more sugar to compensate for the tartness of the plums.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!