Chewy Walnut Brownies
Some people like their brownies fudgy, and others like them cakey, but everyone seems to like these chewy ones just fine!
Serves: Serves: 8 (2 each)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup pourable Sugar Twin or Sprinkle Sweet
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup Land O Lakes no-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg or equivalent in egg substitute
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-by-9-inch cake pan with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, and Sugar Twin. Stir in walnuts.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream, applesauce, egg, water, and vanilla extract.
- Add liquid mixture to dry mixture. Mix gently just to combine.
- Spread batter into prepared cake pan. Bake for 20 to 24 minutes or just until the edges are firm and center is almost set.
- Place cake pan on a wire rack and let set for at least 10 minutes. Cut into 16 bars.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.