Chocolate Almond Cake
A dense, moist cake with a rich ganache topping
Prep Time: prep 30 mins
Cooking Time: cook 25 mins
Serves: makes 8 servings
- 5oz (125g) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 10 tbsp butter, at room temperature, plus more for the pan
- 3 / 4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 / 2 cup almond flour (almond meal)
- 1 / 2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 / 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp brandy or rum
- 1 / 4 tsp almond extract
For the ganache
- 5oz (150g) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 tbsp butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter an 8in (20cm) springform cake pan. Line with wax paper and dust with flour.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from the heat and cool until tepid.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer for 3 minutes, until pale and creamy. One at a time, beat in the egg yolks, then the chocolate. Stir in the almonds, bread crumbs, baking powder, brandy, and almond extract.
- Beat the egg whites in another bowl until they form soft peaks. Fold into the batter. Spread in the pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack. Invert and release the cake onto the rack set over a baking sheet. Remove the paper. Let cool completely.
- To make the ganache, melt the butter in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Add the chocolate and stir until melted. Pour the ganache over the cake and spread over the top and sides with a metal spatula. Let the ganache set. Cut into slices and serve.
- prep 30 mins; cook 25 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!