Chocolate Chip Cookies
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
These cookies are soft, chewy, and cakey, and perfect to fill up the cookie jar
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 15M-20M
Serves: makes 2 dozen cookies
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment.
- Mix together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer set on high speed for 2 minutes, until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, corn syrup, and vanilla. Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt to combine. On low speed, mix into the butter mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips, or reserve for sprinkling.
- Drop tablespoons of the dough on the baking sheets, spacing them 1in (2.5cm) apart. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on the cookies, if reserved. Bake about 15 minutes, until the edges start to brown. Cool on the baking sheets for 3 minutes, then transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool.
Multi-chip Cookies: Choose milk, dark, or white chocolate chips or use bars of chocolate broken into small pieces.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!