Chocolate-Chip Honey Cake
Honey cake can be served anytime to anyone. Chocolate chips just widen its appeal.
Serves: Serves: 12
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 2 (9 X 5-inch) loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon in large bowl; mix well.
- Combine egg substitute, honey, applesauce and vanilla extract in separate bowl; blend with electric mixer until creamy and smooth.
- Pour liquid mixture into flour mixture; blend well. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter among loaf pans; bake 50 to 60 minutes, until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Cool 10 to 15 minutes; remove from loaf pans. Cool completely; wrap loaves in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Place in plastic freezer bag. Thaw cakes at room temperature before serving.
- Whole-wheat flour is a un-milled version of white flour, whole-wheat flour makes hearty pasta and deeply flavored breads. To convert a regular bread recipe into a whole-wheat recipe, substitute half of the white flour with whole-wheat flour.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.