Everyone loves chocolate cupcakes, and these are among the best.
Serves: Serves: 24
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Low-fat frosting or powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 24 muffin cups with fluted paper liners or spray with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugars, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda in large bowl; mix until ingredients are blended.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix with electric mixer until creamy and smooth.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling each two-thirds full.
- Bake 22 to 25 minutes, until toothpick inserted in centers come out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from pan and cool to room temperature.
- Freeze in individual-size plastic freezer bags; thaw at room temperature several hours before serving.
- After thawing, top with low-fat frosting or sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
- Cocoa powder provides the flavor and cancer-fighting flavonoids of regular chocolate, but 1 tablespoon has a mere 20 calories and 1/2 gram fat compared to 140 calories and 10 grams fat in 1 ounce semisweet chocolate.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.