This very rich chocolate mousse has a velvety texture and is delicious served with tart summer berries
Prep Time: prep 15 mins
Serves: makes 10-12 servings
- 14oz ( 400g) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 / 4 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
- 12 tbsp butter
- 1 / 4 cup cocoa powder
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy cream
- raspberries, sliced strawberries, and/or stemmed red currants, to serve
- Line a 9 × 5in (23 × 13cm) loaf pan with plastic wrap. Melt the chocolate, sugar, butter, and cocoa in a medium saucepan over very low heat, stirring often.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl. Whisk in the chocolate mixture. Let cool. Beat the cream in a chilled bowl until soft peaks form. Fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour into the loaf pan and smooth the top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours, until chilled and set. Invert onto a serving platter and remove the plastic wrap. Using a knife dipped into hot water, cut into slices. Serve, with the raspberries.
- prep 15 mins
Individual Chocolate Marquises: You can make pretty individual desserts by spooning the mixture into individual ramekins, and chilling to set. Then pipe whipped cream on top, decorate with a few raspberries, dust with cocoa powder, and serve.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!