Chocolate Truffle Cake
A worthwhile indulgence
Prep Time: prep 20-25 mins, plus chilling
Serves: makes 8 servings
- 9oz ( 250g) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 / 2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1 / 2 cups heavy cream, whipped
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 6 amaretti cookies, crushed
- confectioner's sugar, to garnish
- Line the pan with plastic wrap. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water and set aside.
- Combine the egg whites and granulated sugar in a heatproof bowl and place over a saucepan pan of simmering water. Beat for 5 minutes, until it stands in stiff, shiny peaks.
- Fold the melted chocolate into the egg whites, then the whipped cream and brandy. Pour into the pan. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, until set.
- Remove the sides of the pan. Invert onto a plate. Sprinkle with the cookies and confectioner's sugar. Serve chilled.
- prep 20-25 mins, plus chilling
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!