Classic Apple Crumble
Categories: Big-Batch Meals, Comfort Foods, Entertaining, Kid-friendly, Sweet, Thanksgiving
Apple crumble is a classic family-favorite.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 30M
Serves: Serves 4
- 3 large Granny Smith or Bramley apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
- 4-6 tbsp granulated sugar, depending upon the tartness of the apples
For the crumble topping
- 4 tbsp cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 11/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar (packed) or granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Place the apples in a saucepan with the granulated sugar and 2-3 tbsp of water. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until the apples are tender but still hold their shape. Spoon the mixture into a 1 quart (1.2 liter) ovenproof, freezer-safe dish.
- To make the topping, combine the butter and flour in a bowl. Using your fingertips, rub the flour into the butter until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Rub in the sugar in the same manner. Sprinkle over the apple mixture, then bake for 30 minutes, or until the topping is barely golden. Leave to cool completely, wrap in plastic wrap and then foil, and freeze.
- To serve, defrost in the refrigerator overnight. Uncover and bake in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbly-hot.
- Add a few blackberries or blueberries to the apples toward the end of the cooking time in Step 1.
- Cheat...A 12-14oz (400g) can of prepared apple pie filling can be your secret ingredient for an easy version of this dessert.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!