Coconut Cake with Coconut Frosting
It takes very little actual coconut to give this cake an intense coconut flavor.
Serves: Serves: 12
- 1 1/2 cups Carnation Nonfat Dry Milk Powder
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups Bisquick Reduced Fat Baking Mix
- 3/4 cup pourable Sugar Twin or Sprinkle Sweet
- 6 tablespoons flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup Land O Lakes no-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup Dannon plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 (4-serving) package JELL-O sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3/4 cup Cool Whip Free
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-by-9-inch cake pan with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine 2/3 cup dry milk powder, 3/4 cup water, and vinegar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine baking mix, Sugar Twin, and 3 tablespoons coconut.
- Stir sour cream, yogurt, and 1 tablespoon coconut extract into milk mixture. Add milk mixture to flour mixture. Mix gently to combine.
- Spread batter into prepared cake pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Place cake pan on a wire rack and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine dry pudding mix, remaining 2/3 cup dry milk powder, and remaining 1 1/4 cups water. Mix well using a wire whisk.
- Blend in remaining 1 teaspoon coconut extract and Cool Whip Free.
- Spread mixture evenly over cake. Evenly sprinkle remaining 3 tablespoons coconut over top.
- Cut into 12 servings. Refrigerate leftovers.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.