Cranberry Apple Muffins
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
Oat bran adds additional texture to the cranberry and cinnamon flavors of these muffins.
Serves: 12 muffins
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup finely chopped peeled apple (about 1 1/2 medium)
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons walnut or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Place the flour, oat bran, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon in a large bowl, and stir to mix well. Add the chopped apple, apple juice, egg white, and oil, and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in the cranberries.
- Coat the bottoms only of muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray, and fill three-fourths full with the batter. Bake at 350°F for about 15 minutes, or just until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Be careful not to overbake.
- Remove the muffin tins from the oven, and allow to sit for 5 minutes before removing the muffins. Serve warm or at room temperature, refrigerating any leftovers not eaten within 24 hours.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.