Biscotti take a bit more effort than traditional cookies, but the lemon-cranberry tang in these sets them apart!
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon pineapple or orange juice
- Zest of 1 lemon or orange
- 1 2/3 cups spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon mace
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixer, beat the eggs until foamy, then slowly add the sugar and, on high speed, beat until light. Add butter, vanilla, pineapple or orange juice, and the zest.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and mace. On low speed, add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and blend well. Stir in the cranberries. The dough will be soft.
- Divide the dough in half and, on a greased cookie sheet, mold each half into a long thin loaf (about 8 by 3 inches).
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, and reduce heat to 325 degrees. Let the loaves cool for 10 minutes.
- Put the loaves on a cutting board and slice on the diagonal into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Return the cookies to the baking sheet and toast on one side for 5 minutes, then turn each cookie and toast on the other side for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven when golden brown. Cool completely.
From Eat Right for Your Baby by Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo with Catherine Whitney. Copyright Â© 2004.
To order this book visit www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.