Cream Cheese Marble Brownies
The marble effect of the cream cheese in these brownies adds great visual appeal.
Serves: 24 brownies
- 1 package (about 1 pound, 5 ounces) low-fat fudge brownie mix
- 1 block (8 ounces) nonfat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon unbleached flour
- 3 tablespoons fat-free egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare the brownie mix as directed on the package. Coat the bottom only of a 9-x-13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray, and spread the mixture evenly in the pan. Set aside.
- Place the cream cheese and sugar in a medium-sized bowl, and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the flour, and beat to mix well. Add the egg substitute and vanilla extract, and beat to mix well.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the brownie batter in an "S" pattern. Then draw a knife through the batter to create a marbled effect.
- Bake at 325°F for 30 to 33 minutes, or just until the edges are firm and the center is almost set. Be careful not to overbake.
- Allow the brownies to cool to room temperature before cutting into squares and serving. For easier cutting, rinse the knife off periodically.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.