Dairy-Free Coconut Sorbet
This delicious creamy sorbet tastes more like a full-fledged ice cream.
Prep Time: 5M, plus chilling and freezing time
Serves: makes 4 1/4 cups
Dairy, egg, gluten, & nut free
- 6 oz coconut powder and 3 1/2 cups water made up into thick coconut milk or 2 × 14 fl oz cans coconut milk
- 1/3 cup superfine sugar
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp rum or coconut-flavored rum
- In a saucepan, combine the coconut milk with the sugar and shredded coconut. Over medium heat, stir the mixture until the sugar dissolves (about 2 minutes). Add the rum.
- Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature and chill for at least 30 minutes. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- It's worth using coconut powder rather than the canned variety if you possibly can because the taste and color are superior.
- Watch out for coconut allergy. It is very rare, but it is worth asking if you are giving this to people you don't know.
Excerpted from Allergy-Free Cookbook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!