Easy Strawberry Shortcake
This speedy but sensational dish piles on healthy, fresh strawberries.
Serves: Serves: 5
- 5 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup Sugar Twin or Sprinkle Sweet
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (7.5-ounce) can Pillsbury refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 10 tablespoons Cool Whip Lite
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mash 2 cups strawberries with a fork or potato masher. Stir in 1/2 cup Sugar Twin. Add remaining 3 cups strawberries. Mix well to combine.
- Refrigerate while preparing shortcakes.
- In a small saucer, combine cinnamon and 1/4 cup Sugar Twin. Separate dough into 10 biscuits.
- Place one biscuit on top of another and firmly press together to form 5 shortcakes. Lightly spray each shortcake with butter-flavored cooking spray, then dip shortcakes in cinnamon mixture.
- Place shortcakes on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- For each serving, split 1 shortcake, spoon 1/3 cup strawberry sauce over bottom, replace top, spoon about 1/3 cup strawberries over top, and garnish with 2 tablespoons Cool Whip Lite.
From COOKING HEALTHY WITH THE KIDS IN MIND by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 1998 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here.