The texture of granitas should be finely granular, like snow
Prep Time: prep 5 mins, plus cooling and freezing
Cooking Time: cook 5 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 1 / 2 cup sugar
- 1 1 / 4 cups very strong espresso or French roast coffee, chilled
- 1 / 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Dissolve the sugar in 11/4 cups water in a small saucepan, stirring over medium heat until it boils. Increase the heat to high and boil, without stirring, for 5 minutes, to make a light syrup.
- Pour the syrup into a shallow, freezerproof dish. Stir in the coffee and vanilla and let cool completely.
- Transfer to the freezer. Every 30 minutes or so, use a fork to break up the frozen chunks. Continue to do this for about 4 hours or until the mixture has the texture of shaved ice. During the last 30 minutes or so, place the serving dishes for the granita in the freeze. Scoop the granita into the dishes and serve immediately.
- prep 5 mins, plus cooling and freezing; cook 5 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!