Fat-Free Marshmallow Treats
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
Why aren't you making these marshmallow treats right now? They're fat-free, gooey, and delicious.
Serves: 18 bars
- 1 tablespoon nonfat margarine, or 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons reduced-fat margarine
- 6 cups miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal, regular or cocoa-flavored
- Coat a 4-quart pot with nonstick butter-flavored cooking spray. Add the margarine and marshmallows, cover, and cook over low heat without stirring for 3 minutes. Then remove the lid and continue to cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 additional minutes, or until the mixture is melted and smooth.
- Remove the pot from the heat, and stir in the cereal. Coat a 9-x-13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray, and use the back of a wooden spoon to pat the mixture firmly into the pan. (Coat the spoon with cooking spray to help prevent sticking.)
- Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature before cutting into squares. Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in single layers separated by sheets of waxed paper.
- Variation To make Peanut Butter Marshmallow Treats, add 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of reduced-fat or regular peanut butter to the pot along with the margarine and marshmallows.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.