Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
Be sure to make this a few hours before serving to chill the custards and make them easier to remove from the ramekins
Prep Time: prep 20 mins, plus chilling
Cooking Time: cook 35-40 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 1 1 / 4 cups sugar
- 2 1 / 4 cups whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 4 large eggs plus 4 large egg yolks
- Preheat the oven to 325癋 (160癈). Pour boiling water into four 7oz (200ml) ramekins and set aside. Heat 1 cup of the sugar and 3 tbsp cold water in a heavy saucepan over a medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Boil without stirring, brushing down the crystals that form on the side of the pan with a pastry brush dipped in cold water, and swirling the pan by its handle, for about 5 minutes, or until the syrup has turned into a deep amber caramel.
- Just before the caramel is done, empty the ramekins. Divide the caramel among the warmed ramekins, swirling each so that the caramel comes halfway up the sides.
- Heat the milk and vanilla bean halves over medium heat together until simmering. Using the tip of a knife, scrape the vanilla seeds from the bean halves into the milk and discard the halves.
- Whisk the eggs, egg yolks, and remaining 1/4 cup sugar together in a large bowl. Gradually whisk in the hot milk. Pour into the ramekins. Place the ramekins in a roasting pan and add enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the custards are just set in the center. Remove from the pan. Cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 3 hours.
- One at a time, gently pull the edges of the custard away from the sides of the ramekin using a fingertip. Place a serving plate over the top of the ramekin and invert on to the plate. Serve chilled.
- prep 20 mins, plus chilling; cook 35-40 mins
Ginger Cr鑝e Caramel: Add 2 tbsp chopped drained stem ginger in syrup to the custard when heating the milk. Substitute 1/4 cup stem ginger syrup for the sugar.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!