Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
This sweet pastry cream is a rich and creamy filling for fruit tarts and cream puffs
Prep Time: prep 10 mins
Cooking Time: cook 5 mins
Serves: makes about 11/4 cups
- 1 1 / 4 cups whole milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 / 4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 / 4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Bring the milk to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk the yolks and sugar together in a bowl. Whisk in the flour and cornstarch. Gradually whisk in the hot milk.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until it comes to a full boil and is smooth.
- Let cool slightly, then stir in the vanilla. If not using immediately, cover with a piece of buttered wax paper pressed directly onto the surface of the pastry cream. .
- prep 10 mins; cook 5 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!